Wednesday, September 15, 2010

autumn

top 5 reasons not to have weight-loss surgery in August:

1) Blue Moon - Harvest Moon seasonal ale
2) Dogfish Head - Punkin' Ale
3) Sam Adams - Octoberfest
4) Sierra Nevada - Tumbler seasonal brown ale
5) O'Fallon - Pumpkin Beer

as i walked through the grocery this morning, stocking up on ultra-portable snack items (string cheese, olives from the olive bar, bananas, etc), i unwittingly walked past the beer/wine section, where the first thing i saw was a giant cooler case full of Harvest Moon.  instantly, my stomach and beer-sense went on full alert and i was literally foaming at the mouth.  all that excitement came to a screeching halt in almost the same moment, as i remembered that i won't be partaking of any of these fine brews this particular season.  you're probably thinking - hey, leaves more room for cider and pumpkin pie, right?  well, technically that's correct - having less beer in one's stomach does tend to make room for other things.  the chasm in my soul created by the loss of my time-honored autumn tradition of indulging in a glass of fine, spicy, malty, punkin-y goodness is a bit more to worry about.  ultimately, of course, there are worse things (such as - in no particular order - gout, sleeping sickness, enduring October as a Cubs fan, and weighing 50 lbs more than i do now, as i did those scant weeks ago) - but doggone it, a person is allowed to be sad.

i know i'll survive these coming months, with all their Fezziwig Ale/Winter Welcome/Holiday Porter/Cranberry Lambic festivities, but today's post is all about fully appreciating now what i did not appreciate last October: this season is practically custom-made for drinking beer (82 million Germans can't be that wrong), and as i've noted in previous posts, nothing should ever be taken for granted.

so go forth - snuggle up in front of the faux-fireplace with one of your favorite autumnal brews and soak it in (or drink it, it's up to you).  i'm giving you fair warning now, though: you and i have a date next October for some serious overcompensating for this year's brew-less autumn.


Official pounds lost (since pre-op diet started): 48 and counting. :)

3 comments:

  1. I am so incredibly proud of you. That said, you can't expect me not to rejoice just a little bit that you can't imbibe as freely as you once did, right? It's my *duty*!

    Come to Tennessee and snuggle up with a niece. That should help! We love you - keep on keeping off! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I have to say is.....not far now, Smurfette! I could not be more proud of you....my sister in the struggle :~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow MM! I can't believe I officially earned the designation of Smurfette! I am wiping a tear from my eye as I type this (in a demonstration of extreme phalangeal coordination) - I'm so honored. :) Couldn't/wouldn't have done it without you, Warrior Woman!

    ReplyDelete